Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Sanguis! Blood!

Today was the third day of the blood donation week here at KU. I-up until today-had only donated with the American Red Cross but today that was not an option up at the Union and I was not going to run all the way to Daisey Hill in order to donate with the Red Cross so I opted for the Community Blood Center. It was a good experience for many reasons. First because I simply enjoy the act of donating blood. I feel like when I take an hour out of my day and spend it giving something that will save someone's life I am doing something worth while. Something worth mentioning and that makes a difference even if I can not see the difference that it makes. Secondly, it was a good experience because I was able to see how another group takes blood. I think they do it in a more confusing manner and things can get messed much easier because all of the paper work is done by hand. The Red Cross does everything on the computer.



Anyway, I want to advocate for donating blood. I know that a lot of people do it and get a satisfaction out of it like I do but many people hear horror stories about it and because of these stories do not donate.... Donation is simple and there are WAY more positive experiences that negative. The first time I donated I waited for something like 5 hours to do it. I was 16 and in High School and the school was having its annual drive. That time I waited all that time and then ended up with my arm being covered in bruises from wrist to shoulder for weeks....BUT I know that 3 people we able to use my blood to save their lives! What are a few bruises when I know 3 people are alive because I took that time to donate? Since then I have donated like 21 or 22 times. Most times I end up with a decent bruise but that is about it. I don't have negative side effects from it. So if I have donated 22 times that means I have saved 66 people's lives! 66!!! That is huge! That also means that it has taken me less that 24 hours ( about 22 since it take about an hour each time to donate) to save all of those people! How wonderful is that?!

So I say-GO DONATE! It really is not that difficult and you can save so many people by doing it.

Did you know?!
Among Red Cross donors
In a given year, 18% donate occasionally, 38% are first time donors, and 43% are repeat and loyal donors.

Only 38% of U.S. Americans can donate blood. 
Of the 38% who can donate only 22% do donate.
And of that 22% only 13% repeatedly donate. 
Soooo! If you can-Go donate! Go do it! 13% of Americans are keeping the blood banks in operation!


After Donation today!




No comments:

Post a Comment