Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Familia

Family. What does that mean to you? The people you live with? The people who you share genetics with? The people who will be there to bail you out of trouble?

Different people define their family by different standards and guidelines. Some use the guidelines that I listed above: genetics, who you live with, or those who will get you out of trouble....I on the other hand use different guidelines.

For most of my life my family was non-existent and my life was turbulent and depended heavily on the "tough" stuff that I was made of. Rarely was I able to sit back and enjoy a carefree existence with those who surrounded me.  It took me until I was 14 to meet the woman I now call my Mom.At the time I was living in a foster care placement with a foster family who was not very loving and did not care very much about me and my needs. I moved in with that family when I was 11 years old in the hope that I had finally found what I needed and what I felt I was cheated out of. Alas moving into that house was not what I was destined to have...it was a means of finding what I was to have. I went through a semester of 6th grade all of 7th and 8th grades and then entered high school and met my Mom. She was the Theatre Directer at the high school and when I first met her I though she was nuts! She would not sit still for more than 5 seconds and was constantly barking instructions at the various theatre kids in her room and to her seminar kids. I was very intimidated and to be honest I was not sure I was going to hang around.

The department was in the middle of their annual Dinner Theater and I was given the opportunity to have a small role in the play (Reunion at Homicide High) and was put in charge of clean up in the kitchen....after that I guess you can say I was hooked. I jumped in head first into the crazy world of being a theatre kid and I can say that thus far it was the time of my life. I help out with every show there after and was given head crew positions and even a couple acting roles (Friar Tuck in 'The Hood of Sherwood' and Jen in 'dont u luv me?'). Over the years I slowly got to know the director Amanda Vannocker, I met various members of her family and her then fiance, I was around when she married her fiance Jacob Stice and she became Amanda Stice, and I was there when the had their daughter Lillian Ryan. Many things had to go just right and in a particular way for us all to fall into the roles we now have but everything fell into place and when I turned 18 last May I was able to move in with Jacob, Amanda, and Lilli and call their home my home and their families my family.

Now as I have showed in this anecdote my family and I are not the traditional kind of family but what matters is that we love each other and have strong relationships with each other. I may not share any genetic codes with them or have the same blood type, nor did I grow up with them teaching me the ways of the world but I feel that while those are things I sometimes wish I had what we do have is much more important. Love is what makes my family. Love is what holds us together. It is what gives me reassurance when I am afraid or when I freak out. We are a happy family who enjoys time with one another no matter how we all came to be together. I love them all more than the world. There is nothing that I would not do for any of them. So today's picture is our picture, my parents, my sister and me. :) I love you.


Meus familia. Now and Forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment