Thursday, January 27, 2011

Verum


Truth.

What is truth to you? Is it verifiable facts which can be located in a notable text? Is it something you can see and touch? Does it have to be verified by most if not all of the five senses? Is it something that most people agree on? I feel truth is something which each of us have to strive to find on our own and our truth has its own unique way of being real for us. Truth is in some ways very abstract and only we, as humans, can extract the essence of things in ways which make it true for ourselves. Whether we are debating the exact answer to an abstract problem, battling with divine power, the creation of the world, or simply how we feel-our truth is not the same as anyone else's. I derive my truth from how I feel and what makes most sense to me. I don't believe in God because it is the majority consensus or because I am afraid of going to Hell if I don't believe in Him. I believe in Him because I can feel it in my heart and believing is what is right for me. I don't simply accept the fact that 2 plus 2 equals 4 because someone said so, I accept it because I found my own truth in the statement. I verified it in my own manner and because of that I accept the fact and don't dispute it. Likewise, I find truth in my feelings because they are true to me. It does not matter what someone says I should feel or what they feel is right and that I am wrong in my feelings. My feelings may not be your truth but they are mine and mine alone. No matter how many times some disputes what I feel I will not change it based on the fact that I am disagreed with. Furthermore, when I am told that my truth is wrong it makes me want to refute what is said to me all the more. My heart and feelings hold my truth and this will never change.

The book in the picture for today holds a great truth for me. It is the book, 'The Giving Tree' by Shel Silverstein and within its pages I have found a golden actuality. The whole book is about how the tree gives all that she can to the little boy. The tree begins with simply giving the boy her leaves so he can make a crown for himself, then he swings from her branches and eats her apples, and eventually the boy takes all that he can and wants from the tree until the tree is just a stump.  He comes back to the tree when he is an old man and simply just needs a place to sit and the tree is very happy to provide that to him. The tree gave to the boy not because she had to or because that is what was expected--she found in her heart that she loved the boy and wanted to give all that she could to him. She did not gain anything except for the satisfaction of having helped the boy and she knew the boy was happy. This is all she wanted. Now, having said what the tree did I must say that the boy simply took everything he could. Right down to the stump he took everything, but he did not do this in a spiteful way or with just himself in mind. He provided for his family and was very thankful for what the tree gave him. He found his truth in a friend. A friend who never wavered in her friendship and love and loyalty to him. Until the very end they remained together and dependent on each other-for each of them had found truth in the other. I love this story because it reminds me of how very fortunate we all are for having what we have.

In addition to the story held within this book it also holds a personal letter to me from someone whom I respect and love greatly. The letter describes to me just how fortunate I am and it reminds me every day that my truth is still in fact My Truth. I know that no matter where I go nor how far I go I am "never far from people who love and care and support" me. That is my truth. I am loved, cared for, and supported and nothing can or will ever change that. I have my place and I am grateful for everyday which I have had with my family and look forward to all of the time ahead I have with them because I "will forever have a place in my family".

Find your Truth.



Meus Verum

No comments:

Post a Comment